I’ve been coming up with my own muffins recipes for about four years now, but I haven’t made any since becoming vegan. This morning I woke up with the sudden urge to make a classic: blueberry muffins.
This was my first attempt at vegan muffins, and I must say, they taste better than the non-vegan version!
Ingredients (makes 6 muffins)
1 c flour
1 tsp baking powder
pinch of salt
heaping 1/4 c brown sugar
1 tsp corn starch
1/2 c fresh or frozen blueberries
1/2 c almond milk
3 T Earth Balance, melted
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp lemon juice
Cooking spray (I use olive oil)
1. Pre-heat oven to 400F. Grease muffin pan with cooking spray.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together dry ingredients. Add blueberries and mix.
3. In a small bowl, whisk together wet ingredients.
4. Add wet mixture to dry mixture and stir (do not over mix). Batter should be fairly thick, but if it looks a little too thick, add a little more almond milk.
5. Spoon batter into muffin pan. Cups should be almost completely full.
6. Bake for 20-26 minutes, rotating halfway through. If you’ve baked them for the full time and they still aren’t golden, spray the tops with a little cooking spray and put them back in the oven for a few more minutes.